If you’re using a water bottle that early for your child, you may want to give careful consideration to what type of material you the bottle should be made of. First and foremost choose a bottle that's free from toxins like BPA, PVC, lead, phthalates and other chemicals often found in conventional water bottles. You can choose:
- Stainless steel.
Choosing a material is the first decision to make, but there are some other considerations as well.
- Weight & Capacity: If you want your baby to be able to lift the bottle without help, steer clear of glass and stainless steel. Plastic is the lightest option here.
- Cost: Stainless steel and glass bottles are both pretty pricey. Plastic ones are usually the cheapest.
- Durability: Plastic bottles aren’t made to last forever — that’s why the price tag is so low. Aluminum will last longer than plastic, but generally not as long as stainless steel or glass.
Bottles selected by Jaygifts are best from age 3 to 7.
Washing/Caring for your bottle
You can wash the bottle in warm water with a bit of detergent or liquid soap every day. Use a cotton cloth or brush to remove any sticky or slimy build-up inside the bottle. Rinse the bottle well and allow it to dry. If you have a screw-top bottle, separate the top from it and run through the dishwasher every day. Cleaning the bottle is as important as cleaning water bottle mouthpiece. Keep the drying cycle on because the bottle needs to dry completely. A moist bottle attracts germs easily.
If you feel that the bottle still does not looks fresh even after daily cleaning, opt for sanitizing. Follow some of these ways to sanitize water bottle of your kid.
- Add mild bleach water solution (one teaspoon of bleach in one gallon of water) to the bottle and let the solution rest for about 5-15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly until the odor of the bleach is gone. Air-dry the bottle.
- Add white distilled vinegar and let it rest for about 10-12 minutes. Rinse and air-dry or hand-dry with a clean cloth.
- Another option is to add hydrogen peroxide and let it rest for around 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and air-dry.
- You can also disinfect reusable water bottles by alternatively spraying either hydrogen peroxide or vinegar. Spray either of these two and let it sit for about 3-10 minutes. Rinse and air-dry or wipe it with a clean cloth. Follow the same process with the second one. It does not matter which disinfectant you are using as each of them kills different strains of bacteria. However, you should not mix both the things in the same bottle as mixing them together will make the solution unstable and ineffective.
- Experts usually say that cleaning a reusable water bottlewith soap and water is enough to remove most of the germs. If you are cleaning your kid’s bottle on a daily basis, then you do not need to sanitize it more often.Choosing the safe water bottles for kids is very important, as they are more prone to attract diseases. Try water bottles from brands like Klean Kanteen, Sigg (Sigg kids’ reusable water bottle or in Hello Kitty design), and Nalgene (Nalgene Tritan Grip-N-Gulp Water Bottle, in green).
- Investing in a bottle brush is also a good option. Go for OXO’s Bottle Brush with Nipple Cleaner and Stand.
If your kid prefers to sip through a straw, then the chances are high that you have already bought a straw bottle to keep your kid hydrated. Straw bottles are the most convenient option for the kids, as they do not have the patience to unscrew and screw back the bottle lid every time they use it. However, even after considering its benefits, some parents avoid giving their kids a straw bottle. This is solely because of the cleaning factor. But you don’t have worry at all. All you need to invest in a good straw cleaning brush, a great tool for reaching the hard-to-reach spots in the straw. Sippy Straw Cleaner is one of the best options for cleaning the straws. You can also soak all the bottle parts including the straw in an equal amount of water and vinegar. Kids often chew the mouthpiece of their bottle and it eventually wears out. We recommend you to replace it more often. Amazon is offering a good number of replacement options.